Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I Survived Becoming 30

30th Birthday Memories

First Gift: Tulips to start a garden with from my neighbors Mark and Nikki

Most Exciting Gift: George Strait tickets at the new Cowboys stadium from my parents

Cutest Gift: my neighbor Rochelle found a cake in the shape of a puppy and got it for me



People Who Called Me: Dad, Grandma, my friend Nina, and Sister (unfortunately I missed her call)

People to Come and Visit Me: Audrey, and Rochelle (both neighbors at camp)

Memory I Will Never Forget: gutting a baby pig with Jeff (my neighbor)

Story of how I came to gut a pig for my birthday:

I had gone for a walk after going to church and watching a movie. While I was walking I saw something rummaging around in the leaves near the tabernacle and it was black. I moved closer to see what it was and at first I thought it was a black cat that has been running around on grounds but it seemed really big to be a cat. All of the sudden it looked up at me and I saw it was a little pig. Jeff has been trying to catch this little thing for a couple of weeks now so I decided to walk on home because he had been working outside all that day. Sure enough he was still there. I told him about the piggy I had found. He said he would give me one of his guns to go kill it. I looked at him wrinkled my nose and told him that was alright. I have shot a gun but it has been years and my Dad has always been present. Plus I don't think I could kill anything that is living especially a baby of any kind. He looked at me and asked if I would at least go with him. I was willing to so he went to get his gun and came back with 2. We started hiking down and as we got closer I told him where I had seen the poor little thing that was soon to meet death. He snuck up and looked around and shot her. He was too close though so when he shot her it went in her back and came out her belly along with her guts. The hole in her back was huge! He picked her up and shook her a bit to get some of the blood off so she wouldn't drip. He carried her about half way and then I carried her the other half of the way. She was so cute if a pig can be. While we were walking home he asked if I wanted to help gut her. So I held her little legs while he gutted her. We looked at all the different organs (female parts, heart, lungs, liver, intestines, etc...). It was quite interesting. The whole time Jeff had no idea that it was my birthday. After we finished I came home, washed my hands, and went to church. After I got home I saw that he sent me a message on facebook asking me when my birthday was because he saw all the wall posts wishing me a happy birthday. After I finished writing him back his wife Audrey came to the trailer to wish me a happy birthday and I got to wish her one too (we share the same day for our birthdays). She told me that as they were leaving she asked Jeff if he knew if I had gone somewhere for my birthday. She said that he looked up at her and said not that he knew of because I helped him gut the pig. I think she felt sorry for me but it is like I told her it made my 30th birthday very memorable. :)

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great day, gross as it sounded! Did you eat any of the meat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No not yet but we are planning to! :) We hear it is going to be very tender with the pig being so young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your cake was sooooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete