Friday, June 4, 2010

Canyon Museum

Today I took a couple of our international workers to the Canyon Museum. It was so fascinating to spend that time with them. Beata from Poland shared something that her Grandfather experienced during World War II when we were looking at our history. She shared with me that her Grandfather fled from Poland during the war and then when it was complete he came home and has been there since. She shared that they have preserved 2 concentration camps that are in Poland and that she had been to the most popular one to see it. She said that they still had the pile of shoes in the rooms where they put the Jews to stay. She was describing how they labeled different areas and what they were used for. She said that it was a very sad place to be at and that you could feel the sadness even after so long.

Another thing we had ran upon in our history was the integration period and she was asking me what that was. It was interesting for me to describe it to her and yet sad when I thought about that part of our history. I realized that all of us have sad areas of life but it is what we learn along the way that matters.

They were really fascinated with the outhouse and the gun collection that they had there. Beata asked me if it was true that every home in Texas had a gun. I smiled and said not everyone has a gun in their home because I don't. :-)

After the museum we stopped at the gift shop where they both purchased a straw cowboy hat. Then we headed off to have lunch. It was such a fun outing. Beata and I have been planning a trip to Palo Duro to go hiking and I have been telling her about the Texas play also so we may try to plan a trip to see it. There is another girl we work with from here in Texas Aleyne and Liz are wanting to go too so we may all try to go one night. It is so exciting to have them here and so much fun!

Here are a few pictures from our outing.
I sure am glad that I don't have to cook on this at Ceta! :-)
Beata (Poland) and me
Liz (Columbia) and me


Beata and Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment